1. Home
  2.  » Child Custody

Creating Enduring Parental Bonds With Structured Custody

When parents decide to end their relationship, they must navigate the unfamiliar territory of establishing child custody. Most parents wish to find a reasonable solution that benefits both the child and the parent, but tensions can quickly escalate.

When you need help litigating a custody dispute or creating a fair parenting plan, the Law Offices of Robert Borsky can help you reach a resolution. As a California Board of Legal Specialization certified Family Law Specialist with over 30 years of experience, I have an acute understanding of custody matters, including the emotions involved and how to help parents find agreement.

Starting With Mandatory Mediation

In Los Angeles County and elsewhere in the San Fernando Valley, the court requires parents to attend mediation before appearing in court. During mediation, parents make decisions regarding legal and physical custody and support amounts. Mediation provides an opportunity for parents to come to an agreement rather than relying on a judge to make a final decision.

Restructuring Families Based On The Child’s Needs

If the parents cannot reach a custody agreement during mediation, the case may go before a judge. In certain cases, a judge may appoint a child custody evaluator to provide an assessment and create a parenting plan or time-sharing schedule. Keep in mind, custody orders can be modified later as the needs of the child or the circumstances of a parent change.

California courts use the best interest of the child standard which focuses on the needs of the child and creating an environment most suited to care for them. Determining factors include the age of the child, the emotional bond between the parent and child and the ability of each parent to provide appropriate care.

Find A Solution That Fits Your Family

To discuss your concerns with a child custody attorney, arrange an appointment at my firm’s Woodland Hills location. Schedule yours today by calling 818-869-1016 or reach my firm online.