1. Home
  2.  » Post-Judgment Modifications

Making Alterations To Court Orders As Needs Change

As your life changes, judgments pertaining to child support, alimony or custody may no longer be appropriate. Fortunately, California courts allow you to request a modification. Located in Woodland Hills, the Law Offices of Robert Borsky can help. For over 30 years, I have helped families in the San Fernando Valley obtain post-judgment modifications.

When Is Modification Warranted?

Before requesting a modification, you must be able to justify the need for a change. For custody and child support modification requests, you must also demonstrate how the modification would benefit the child. Common circumstances that warrant a modification include:

  • A significant change in income or assets
  • An illness
  • Parental relocation
  • Changing needs of the child
  • Remarriage

Parents and spouses can resolve support and custody modifications privately or through litigation. When litigated, it can be difficult to prevail. However, representation by a skilled attorney can greatly increase your chance of success. You can rely on my expertise as a Family Law Specialist, certified by the California Board of Legal Specialization.

Changes Are Not Retroactive

If you need to request a modification, it is imperative to do it right away. Sometimes parents or spouses wait to request a change, thinking that a decrease in income or other life event is temporary. But post-judgment modifications are not retroactive. If you fall behind on payments, you are liable for the original amount owed before you filed the modification petition. Additionally, you would need to continue to make support payments with interest until the debt is repaid in full.

Discuss Your Need For A Change With A Lawyer

Let’s talk about your situation during an initial appointment. To arrange yours, email my firm or call 818-869-1016.